This is the final cut of Deadly Game. It has sound but as yet no titles.
Friday, 15 July 2011
We looped a Jazz riff from soundtrack pro to create the musical underscore. Then we'drecorded Annie's voiceover and we cut that to fit the film. We had to higher and lower the score in order to hear Annie's voice as you can see in this image:
And we also put on lots of sound effects such as the fan, the gun firing and the blinds making a noise.
Thursday, 14 July 2011
One of the conventions of the Film Noir is the voice over, so we knew we needed one. We watched our movie and scripted as we were viewing to make sure the voice over would fit each scene. We tried to think of as many cliches as possible. We also knew that it had to be an american accent, but me and Beck couldn't do one, so we asked Jane as she has a drama background, but she said she'd get the giggles. In the end Annie said she'd do it for us.
Here is our script.
Here is our script.
First of all we decided to take out the shots of our femme fatale where she is waiting at the bus stop. The footage was poor quality as it was shot through a window, and it didn't add anything to the narrative in the end.
We also looked at some of the framing and decided to re-frame some of the shots in FCP.
There was too much space around this shot so we re-framed it.
We have also turned our movie black and white so it looks like a real Film Noir.
We have also added in clips of a fan to show time is passing. We might slow this footage down but we'll decide on that later.
Friday, 8 July 2011
We've just this minute finished filming. It went really well although we had a few problems with wind. The weather was pretty awful and hampered our external lamp-post shots. We were able to use the studio to film and feel that we were very efficient with the time allocated. Our final footage does embrace much of the film noir genre. We used the following conventions: costume (trench coat, sun glasses and appropriate hats); props (cards, money, alcohol, glasses); mise-en-scene (venetian blinds, low key lighting, gambling den, lamp-post and street shots); camerawork (dutch tilt, low angle shots, static camerawork). We are beginning to think about our sound-track and want to try and keep it conventional. We've blogged some music that we've found from Double Indemnity and would like to try and emulate this as best we can. Editing - we are next lesson.
trying to film between the blinds was tricky!
Beck on location
this is our rough shot list
this is a table of our props in the studio
Beck's hat kept blowing off when we were trying to film her!
Some shots of us filming!
Usman and I went to Zebedees, a local cheap shop where we went to get some of our key Film Noir props.
We took lots of photos for the animatic. Here are a few, to give a taster of the genre of our piece:
|Low angle shot showing Usman's cards with Beck in the background|
|Final shot of Beck by the blinds|
|One of many shots that we took of Beck under the lampost. We should be able to use Color to add a shadow and light source, and to make it much darker.|
|A shot of Usman dealing the cards. Notice the Jack Daniels bottle in the background.|